Photos by Nick Tomecek
I own cassette tapes, CDs and mp3 files; I listen to music in every format.
But, a special appreciation goes out to this musician, Hayley Richman, who released her debut single on vinyl, and 7-inch vinyl at that. Swoon.
If I ever develop vocals expressing semi-recognizable notes, I will release my debut EP on 8-track tapes. Yeah, get out your wallets.
While several 45 rpm records sit in my living room, I have yet to feature any on the blog. This column will represent my first featuring a 7-inch record, which is perfect because I love discovering new vocalists.
A fellow Instagram user introduced me to the Canadian artist who deems her music genre “sadcore.” I can get down with that.
Richman gained musical traction through singing Radiohead covers on YouTube videos — another thing with which I can get down. Richman sings two of my Radiohead favorites, “There, There” and “Reckoner,” and she does it well.
As many YouTubers express, Richman’s vocals are perfect for this kind of thing. She offers a low, classically trained voice as pure as snow — one of three reasons I’ve nicknamed her “Snow Queen.”
Her debut vinyl features “Marionette” and “Take My Soul.” These song concepts are both dark and intriguing.
If you’re drawn to the seductive gloom of songstresses Fiona Apple and Anna Nalick; the deep sound of Imogen Heap; or the prowess of Thom Yorke, you will find refuge with Richman.
What I like about Richman:
1) Her flawless, full voice. It’s not harsh and should be appreciated for what it is.
2) Her style. Just look at her website, hayleyrichman.com. Flurries of snow drift across the web page. Snow queen, reason 2 of 3.
3) Her darkness. With her trained voice, Richman could easily release a pop record. She didn’t, so that’s cool.
What I’d like to hear more of:
1) I want to hear Richman vocally let go. With her talent, this moment will be magical.
2) More ice. I yearn for whatever cold-hearted lyrics the Snow Queen brings forth.
3) Songs. Naturally, I want to hear more music.
To learn more about Richman, see her Instagram page @haylzeebub or Facebook page @hayleyrichmanmusic.
Dress - Forever 21
Hey, I'm Savannah. I collect records, and they collect dust. Like my preferred media form, I strive to not become obsolete. I created Off the Record as a way to turn my mind inside out, into something visual and tangible. One is the loneliest number, so I asked my friends to join.